Strategic Trade Act 2010 (STA 2010) is enacted to provide control over the export, transshipment, transit and brokering of strategic items, including arms and related material, and other activities that will or may facilitate the design, development and production of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) and their delivery systems.
Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) is the focal point to coordinate the implementation of STA 2010 and currently in a process to review the Act to be a more trade-facilitative law, governing the industry and export communities.
The amendments that are being considered include:
- reviewing the need for end-use statements for permit application, especially for transit and transhipment of strategic items;
- possibility of introducing a provision for voluntary disclosure of violations;
- introducing administrative and compoundable penalties; and
- reviewing the definition of brokering in the Act to be less vague.
THIS SURVEY AIMS TO:
- seek feedback from stakeholders i.e. relevant government agencies, exporters, traders, freight forwarders and others, in improving the delivery system;
- review existing provisions and regulations under the STA 2010;
- ensure the Act is in-line with international practice; and
- increase companies compliance to the STA 2010.
Please click to review : GRP-RIA Industry Consultation Document